Suitable for children of all ages - Karen Bush

Nothing like sharing a good book.
Whatever your age.
Yes, I read 'children's' books.
And 'YA' books.
Not exclusively - I do read books aimed at the adult market too.
But I don't see why I should confine myself only to books written for my age group, when there's some really great stuff out there written primarily with a younger readership in mind, but which I enjoy just as much.
Some people seem to disapprove of this: it seemed to really kick off when grown ups were observed reading the Harry Potter books. Love them or hate them, while it may have generated some disparaging criticism from some, it also made a lot of older readers aware of some of the fun they might be missing out on by sticking solely to adult books. 
Adult and children's books happily
cohabiting on my shelves ...
          While The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are classic examples of cross-generation appeal, there are plenty of more recent books which are usually promoted as being either for children or YA but which sit comfortably across all three categories, including Garth Nix's Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen trilogy: Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea books: Kevin Crossley Holland's Arthur books: Catherine Jinks' Pagan quadrilogy: Susan Price's Sterkarm trilogy: Toby Forward's Flaxfield Quartet, and William Nicholson's Wind on Fire trilogy.
          But such category-crossing books apart, there is also some terrific entertainent to be had from what are very definitely junior fiction books - most recently, I loved Joan Lennon's Tales from the Turrets.
          The Da Vinci Code or The Ferret Princess? No contest .... give me the 'kids books' as a friend once sniffily described them, anytime!
        
   Which brings me to e-readers.
          If you are worried about people casting disapproving looks at you as you sit on the Tube, (or train, or bus, or in any other public place) engrossed in the latest 'children's' or 'YA' book, an e-reader is of course, the perfect way of disguising what your reading matter is from enquiring eyes ...


It only happens in stories


Two of mine ... suitable, as they say, for all ages ...


Haunting Hounds
 

Comments

JO said…
Oh yes - there are some wonderful children's books around, and only the sniffy turn their noses up at them. (The only difference between adult and children's books on my shelves - those for children are lower down, where my grandchildren can reach them. When they are tall enough to reach War and Peace they're old enough to tackle it!
Lydia Bennet said…
There are many brilliant 'children's' books, I very much enjoyed reading them with and for my children - the ones I still read are the Swallows and Amazons books, and I rate the Little House on the Prairie series very highly. also still love Winnie the Pooh and enjoy quoting and remembering bits of those stories.
madwippitt said…
Good to know I'm in such good company! :-)
Dennis Hamley said…
How glad I am to read this. I feel my writing career has been vindicated!
madwippitt said…
Cor blimey Dennis! Just giving myself a head slap ... your Joslin books are perfect of course for all children aged between 9 and 90 ... I loved them!

Popular posts

A Few Discreet Words About Caesar's Penis--Reb MacRath

Never Mind the Author Workshops, What Shall I Wear on World Book Day 2024? wonders Griselda Heppel

How to Live with the End in Mind: Wendy Mitchell’s Choice -- by Julia Jones

Brain on a Train -- Umberto Tosi

A writer's guide to Christmas newsletters - Roz Morris